Thursday, September 4, 2014

FINE MOTOR CENTERS

At the beginning of the year, I try to really hit those foundation skills hard. This includes holding a pencil, using scissors, coloring, routines, procedures and various fine motor skills. 
Here are some fun, fine-motor center ideas for any pre-k/k classroom!

I tie a cube to the end of yarn. The kids lace it through an old tennis racket of mine.
They love this center!

The kids sort by color/size (or not) and place that many pom poms next to the number. 


The kids sift crayons out of colored rice using Dollar Store strainers. Check out this activity HERE.


Another idea is to take a strainer and lots of pipe cleaners. 
The kids lace the pipe cleaners through the holes of the strainer.
:)


Maybe not the best for fine motor, but this oldie-but-goodie center is so fun for my new crop of kiddos!
I give them cards with words and have them match with the magnet letters.



Why do we need those fine motor skills?
I tell the kids that it's to build those muscles.
The more they work on those skills and trace/write their name, the stronger they become!
They love flexing their muscles for me each day and tell me how many times they wrote their name the night before.
LOVE!


Grab this name editable name tracer HERE.

Happy Wednesday!


1 comment:

  1. I teach 3rd Grade and still have children who struggle with fine motor activities. Is it too late to go back and work on the fine motor skills and will it transfer to an improvement in these other areas/activities?

    ReplyDelete