Monday, March 2, 2015

iditarod activities

If you happen to know me, you already know I live in Alaska. Therefore, you can probably guess I love to teach about the Iditarod! The Iditarod begins this Saturday and we will be following the race for the next few weeks as mushers from all over the world attempt the grueling trek across the wilderness. Here are a few Iditarod activities we love! Here is a fun list of a few old favorites I have. Head over to my blog to win 2 new ALASKA titles that I'll be giving away to kick of the start of the race!
We'll be working on these Musher craftivities this week :)
And here's a little FREEBIE if you'd like to get in on the fun!
Check out some of the fun we had last year... I keep all of the masters for my unit in 1 big binder:
And put the centers in binders (rather than tubs or buckets).
I printed some clipart, glued it onto a blank poster paper and laminated it. Now I can write on it with a dry-erase marker and reuse it every year!
 And I also added a quick reusable Iditarod word wall for students to reference when writing.
The Red Lantern Award is given to the last musher to cross the finish line in Nome, so of course, I had to have one to stress the importance of hard work and determination! I bought this one on eBay a few years ago. I also brought in a pair of fleece dog booties to show the class what the dogs in the Iditarod wear to protect their feet from the ice! They loooved these 2 artifacts!
 We began our week by learning about the mushers that are in this year's race (I printed off biographies from the official Iditarod website). Students were responsible for writing about their musher and personalizing a mini musher to keep track of each day on the checkpoint bulletin board (if you own this unit, email me--tongassteacher@gmail.com--for checkpoint photos and I'd be happy to send them to you!).
 Then, we colored these Musher Trading Cards, added neat facts we found (think Pokemon power info, but mushers!) to the back of each card, and let the exchanges begin!
This is a new page added to the Iditarod Unit, so if you already bought this unit, go download your updated version for free (go to My Purchases in TpT)!!! I stuck mine in a page protector and update it in the morning when we move our mushers.  
Sadly, 2 of the mushers that were assigned scratched (dropped out), so they live in the "Scratched Zone" now!
Money games!
Multiplication and division is much more engaging when puppy food is involved!
 Brushing up on our expanded form skills again:
 Doubles and doubles +1 practice:
 We used these number bonds to practice our splitting of tens and ones:
 Fingerprint dogsleds! Sooo cute!
Reading Iditarod books and working on Adopt-a-Dog journals:
And...you guessed it! Another anchor chart :)
Ohhh the importance of 10's Friends!!!! We can't practice this enough!
Solving for an unknown and fractions!
And YOU HAVE GOT TO CHECK THIS OUT! A super sweet volunteer made this whole thing for us to hang up! You can't tell from the photo, but each of those flags are cut out construction paper, not printed from the internet! And the letters are all bordered with black and layered on top of yellow...it looks A-MAZING in real life. Trust me. I was speechless when I opened up the delivery! I promptly cut it out and laminated it so I could hug it all night hang it up in the hallway with our other Iditarod stuff.
 Terrible lighting in the hallway, as you can see from the difference in the photo below.
 We also made our Iditarod Husky Craftivity dogs! A tip for prepping craftivities:
 I printed my bookmarks, laminated them and used pawprint ribbon from JoAnn's to make them extra special and fun.
Each of these activities comes from my Iditarod: An Integrated Unit. Click below to check it out!
\

2 comments:

  1. These activities are aDORable! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You really thought of everything! !

    ReplyDelete