Sunday, March 22, 2015

RTI: Tiers without Tears!

Implementing RTI

The look on this poor child's face is what I think some teachers feel when RTI is mentioned!  Does your school participate in RTI?  How is it going?  If RTI is done using the correct data and put into place properly, it can be an effective tool to helping students progress and succeed.  Unfortunately, I hear from teachers that RTI isn't being helpful and is creating a lot more work for them. And I truly hate that for them (sigh).  


Using graphs in RTI to monitor progress

I have RTI set up at my school to where Tier 2 goes for 10 weeks and Tier 3 goes on until 12 weeks.  We intervene with 2 interventions at a time.  No more, no less.  We don't want the student overwhelmed, but we also want to be making as much progress as we can.  One excellent way to motivate the student is to get them involved in their own graphing.  Each week they can graph their progress.  And they enjoy this.  They like seeing their successes and if a week is lower than what they want, they know what they need to do to bring that back up.  But it is important that these be kept in a separate binder, just for the student.  Not displayed for everyone.  I make it clear to the students that they are only in competition with themselves not anyone else.

Using graphs in RTI to monitor progress

At my school, the teachers keep weekly graphs charting the progress of the students.  We have a goal line plotted on the graph that helps guide us to whether the student is making adequate progress or not.  If not, then the teacher may need to make a change in their teaching or the intervention may need to be changed.

Using Graphs and Binders in RTI to monitor progress

All these graphs are kept in binders and there are binders for grades K- 3.  The graphs the teachers keep are very important as we use those in our meetings to make decisions at the end of each RTI cycle on where to place students- keep them in that current tier, move up a tier, or move down.  

I hope that you have found this RTI information helpful and I really do hope that RTI is successful in your school!  You can click any of the pictures or click here to see my RTI binders.  


Lori


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your tips, Lori! As usual, your post was helpful. ;)
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen for following me over her to Spark! I appreciate that very much!
      Lori
      Conversations in Literacy

      Delete
  2. Lori,

    LOVE this post--I would actually love to know more about how your RTI blocks/timeframe/whole-thing is run. How do the teachers feel about 10 and 12 week windows? Seriously, I'd love to find out more--but this was great! You've got my mind moving.

    Thanks
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Matt! I would love to talk logistics with you about RTI. The teachers are fine with the 10 weeks and 12 weeks. Not all of the classroom teachers help with Tiers II and III. I use a group of teachers to manage those tiers and usually take the Tier III students myself. Thanks for the questions!
      Lori
      Conversations in Literacy

      Delete
  3. I love these data folders! The graphs are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sarah! Graphing is really helpful in RTI.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete