Thursday, March 12, 2015

St. Patrick's Day Inferencing Activities

Hello! Sarah here from Sarah's Snippets. I might have mentioned before,that I am a big fan of St. Patrick's Day! I don't think you need to be Irish to love this holiday. ;)  When I taught first grade, I loved having a little "treasure hunt" with my students. The kids would come in the classroom in the morning to a trail of green glitter. On the white board is the first clue. We spend the morning reading the clues and making inferences to figure out where the next clue is. It's a lot of fun! At the end of the hunt, there was a pot filled with leprechaun pencils and a gold chocolate coin. 



Each student has a student sheet to record their inference and the text clues that led them to that inference. (We fill that part out afterward.)

Here's another inferencing activity that I still get to do with my reading groups. :) I give each student a card to read. They use their strategies to decode the words. Then they read it a second time, looking for clues to lead them to their inference about where that leprechaun's gold is hidden. 


Then each student reads their card to the group. This year, we filled out this chart together instead of doing the individual student worksheets.  Most of them could easily guess where the gold was hidden, but they had a hard time articulating how they knew. This was a great activity to practice looking for text clues. They really enjoyed it too!


I've created another treasure hunt that I can do with my reading groups on St. Patrick's Day (without having to go around the school). I found these pieces of fake gold, so I had to find a way to use them.

 :) I "hid" them around the room. Before looking, we read the cards and made our inferences about where the gold was. Then we had fun looking in each spot for the gold. 





To read more about my St. Patrick's Day activity pack, come visit my blog!



6 comments:

  1. A single person might affect the overall productivity of the team and might make the team members skeptical about being in a team henceforth. Thus, before such a situation reaches to that extreme stage, a couple of well devised corporate team building activities should be organized to improve the team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Masters Tournament, also known as The Masters or The US Masters, is one of the four major championships in professional golf. The Masters is scheduled for the first full week of April, and it is the first of the majors to be played each year.

    The masters

    The masters 2017

    The masters Golf

    The masters Golf 2017

    The masters Live

    The masters Live Stream

    Masters golf result

    Masters results

    Masters Golf Leaderboard

    Master Leaderboard

    The masters

    The masters 2017

    The masters Golf

    The masters Golf 2017

    The masters Live

    The masters Live Stream

    Masters golf result

    Masters results

    Masters Golf Leaderboard

    Master Leaderboard

    Masters Tournament 2017 live coverage from Augusta National Golf Club at CBSSports.com. Watch the tournament live, choose cameras and get live stats.

    ReplyDelete