Thursday, June 25, 2015

MOTIVATE and CELEBRATE Reading!
















 
Hey guys!  It's Angie from Lucky Little Learners and I am back to talk about how I was able to motivate and celebrate reading in my classroom at the end of the year.  Reflect on your classroom right now.  Imagine it's the end of the year...actually last month of the school year.  How were your students doing with their motivation to finish strong with their nightly reading homework?  If yours were like mine, most of the parents were having a really tough time getting their students to read in the evening.  It's as if they were in summer mode and we had another month to go!  I knew I had to do something different.  The sticker charts were losing their excitement and I didn't want to just throw in the towel just yet!  That is when an idea came to my teacher brain!  Introducing...READING FOR ICE CREAM!

Here's how it works:  My students were required to read at home every night during the school week (weekends were optional).  Parents were responsible for recording the number of minutes that their son/daughter read.  This was recorded in the child's BEE Binder.
My students were rewarded with a reading sticker for every 10 minutes that they read at home.  The reading stickers were kept right on their reading recording page from their BEE binder.  Once a child earned 10 stickers, they moved their name up to the next scoop on our ice cream data wall.  Each scoop was worth 10 stickers and 1 ice cream topping of their choice.

Boy, did my kids step up to the challenge in BIG WAYS!  Can you believe that in the LAST MONTH of school, my students had their highest reading homework minute totals that they had all year long?  Yes, the last month of school!  I had 3 students that pushed themselves to get to the top of the ice cream cone.  That means they read 1,000 minutes in one month!  This teacher's heart was HAPPY!!!  Unfortunately, I had 4 students who rarely did their reading homework minutes all year.  I made it clear to my students that hard work pays off in 2nd grade and that this was something that needed to be earned.  If the reading homework was not completed, no ice cream would be given.  Honestly, I was worried.  I wasn't sure if those 4 students were going to make it.  Guess what, they did!  Not one student had to miss the ice cream party!
Are you thinking that this is something you could do in your classroom?  Here's just a few logistics that you should know.  The title of the display was created using DJB Lemon Head Blocked Font and the font size was increased.  Each topping was made from a piece of 11x18 piece of construction paper.  I just made a tracer template and used it for each color.  The cone was drawn but super easy.  I laminated everything so that the students' names could be easily moved without tearing the paper.  The names were laminated with a piece of tape on the back.  I feel it is important to allow your students to move their own name tag.  There was something rewarding and motivating about them doing this action themselves.  When the day of the ice cream party finally arrived, I had plastic bowls of toppings that included M&M's, marshmallows, sprinkles, whipped cream, gummy bears, chocolate chips, Kit Kat pieces, mini Milky Way candies, Butterfinger pieces, caramel, fudge, and the list goes on.  I started at the top of the chart and those who had the most toppings got to make their ice cream sundae first.  It was a really fun day and the kids were beaming with pride!  It was so neat to see!

1 comment:

  1. Super cute idea! I bet they loved it!! I think I might have to try this! Who doesn't love ice-cream??? Thanks for sharing!

    Christa
    sweetlifeofsecondgrade

    ReplyDelete