Wednesday, July 15, 2015

New EPIC Tool for Independent Reading!

Hey guys!

I am SO FLIPPIN' EXCITED to tell you about a FREE tool that's out there for teachers to use to help give our students access to some of the BEST books from the BIGGEST publishers! {I'm going to go ahead and tell you right now this is not a paid ad for EPIC! --- I just absolutely LOVE this website.}

It's called EPIC! and I actually heard about it from my sister who is a Special Needs PreK teacher. Maybe I have been living under a rock, but I was absolutely blown away when she and I sat down to look at it together.

My school pays for a subscription to a similar site. Now granted, we get a few things through that site that EPIC! doesn't offer, like reading comprehension checks, Lexile scores, etc. That's not really "my jam" though... I just want something that my students are going to LOVE because the books they want to read are already there!

https://www.getepic.com/

 People.

I'm talking Scaredy Squirrel, Big Nate, graphic novels, all KINDS of stuff!!!

https://www.getepic.com/

A few other points I've noticed:
  • They are always adding new books --- monthly, sometimes even weekly. 
  • Each reader is able to check off genres they like. Recommendations will be based on their interests!
  • When you click or tap on a the first page of a book, it will show the reader the AR and Lexile levels for that book when they are available
  • You can even click a button on your tablet and make the book available to read OFFLINE.  I CANNOT MAKE THIS UP, PEOPLE!!!!
  • What's available on the computer is not always available on the app. Because it's FREE, Epic! for Educators is going to be a little different. There are still TONS of books! #justsaythankyou #nocomplaining
  • They even have STUFF to help you tell your parents about it. SO. EASY.


Ok, really?? You are still here??

Run like the wind! Now!

https://www.getepic.com/


Click any of the images in this post to get started with EPIC!

As for me?

I am going to read ALL of the things!

:) Happy Wednesday! :)

www.thirdgradebookworm.blogspot.com


13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I just signed up and can't wait to tell my coworkers. Can students log in from home? That would be AWESOME!

    Ms. Smith
    Adventures of Ms. Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question!

      I don't think so, unless they have an account of their own already. :(

      But... Maybe this keeps it new and exciting for school?!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This looks AMAZING! Can't wait to check it out!!!

    Theresa
    True Life I’m a Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely need something like this at our school. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAAAAAAAAAY!!! I can't wait to try this. It's going to be EPIC! Thank you so much!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too!!

      Thanks for spreading the Epic love, Matt!!

      Delete
  5. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I just found out about this today!. Your post is spot on! I'm off to finish it all up and load up students and kids.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! I was so excited about this - especially since it's something I can still use as an interventionist!!

      Delete
  6. This looks great! I can't wait to use it! Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whaaat! How did I not know about this site? Thank you for sharing!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing this information! I just signed up and can't wait to use it with my firsties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to check it out!! I will put in a request to our IT now because it usually takes forever for apps to be installed!! Thanks!!

    Jen~Two Little Birds

    ReplyDelete