Sunday, August 9, 2015

Tootsie Time on Analog Clocks

Teaching kids to tell time on an analog clock is harder than ever. Look around- how many times do they actually NEED to use an analog clock? From where I sit now, I can see the digital time on our cable box, the corner of my computer screen, the microwave, and I could see it on a phone, iPad, and FitBit if I just tapped one button. There’s no analog clock anywhere to be seen!

Still, I think telling time is a skill our kids should have- but it can be a tough one to motivate!

My mom, who’s also a teacher, has the BEST solution to this, and she let me share it with you.

Her kids keep a scrap of paper on the corner of their desk, and all through the day, she’ll pause to announce, “Tootsie Time!”

tootsie time 2

The kids look at the clock, write down the time, and then if they get it right, they get a Tootsie Roll!

It’s simple, but it’s effective. And by doing this for a few weeks, her kids get lots of practice telling time.

If you are only working on a certain skill, like time to the hour or half-hour, you might try setting some alarms on your phone to help you call “Tootsie Time” at the right time.

Want to give it a try? Download a few versions of Tootsie Time for free here:

tootsie time

I’ve tried to offer some in color in case you want to laminate and use dry-erase markers, but they also come in black-and-white for easier copying.

How do you motivate students to learn how to tell time on an analog clock?

LL logo and name

9 comments:

  1. This is an AWESOME idea. I WILL be using this with my 5th graders because I guarantee they will need the practice. You are right...analog clocks aren't seen too often anymore!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you'll be able to use it!

      Jenny

      Delete
  2. What a cute idea! I'm pinning this so I don't forget AND so others can find out about it as well. Thank you!
    ~Heather aka HoJo~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, fantastic! Thank you for pinning!

      Jenny

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this wonderful idea. Teaching analog is a hard concept for kids. I will definitely use this in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this wonderful idea. Teaching analog is a hard concept for kids. I will definitely use this in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this wonderful idea. Teaching analog is a hard concept for kids. I will definitely use this in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute idea! Downloaded the sheets and going to try this out!!! Thanks Mom!! :)

    ~Traci
    The Bender Bunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll be sure to tell my mom, too :)

      Jenny

      Delete